Monday, March 12, 2012

Food!

                It has been brought to my attention (primarily by my family) that I have yet to discuss my gastronomic adventures in France.  So to make up for it, I have decided to devote an entire blog post to one of my favorite things – food!
                First, I would like to make clear that this post is not about me tasting frogs’ legs or snails. In fact I have yet to even have the opportunity to try anything like that.  While I have eaten at a few restaurants (mostly while traveling), I typically eat at my apartment.  Our kitchen consists of two hotplates, a sink, and a mini-refrigerator.  It definitely took some getting used to as I pretty much use the oven any time I am in the kitchen, but I’m getting there.  So far, I’ve made things like fish, toast, eggs, crepes, chicken, pasta, rice, and potatoes. 
                Grocery shopping has not been too challenging so far.  There is a nice store that is about a 5 minute walk from my apartment.  I also like going to a larger store on the metro.  It’s enormous - maybe even bigger than Wal-Mart – and it has everything from olive oil to shampoo to kitchenware and electronics.  I find it amusing to walk down the international foods aisle and find taco kits, peanut butter, and Bisquick.  One thing that is much different here is at the check-out counter.  In America, you are given as many bags as you want, even if you only have one item.  Here, you have to pay for each individual bag so most people just bring their own reusable ones from home, a practice that I have happily adopted!
                Another great place to get food are the markets.  There are so many open air markets with lots of fresh fruits, vegetables, bread, honey, etc.  I’ve been to a couple while traveling, but have yet to go to any in Toulouse (it’s been so cold!).  It’s starting to warm up so I plan on going sometime in the next week!
                When I don’t eat at home, I typically eat cheap.  There are a lot of small restaurants and street vendors all over the city that have inexpensive and normally pretty tasty fare.  Typically you can find somewhere that sells paninis, sandwiches, croque monsieurs, or crepes and delicious pastries and desserts.  Another thing that is very common is kebab.  I think my favorite so far are the crepes.  They are so tasty!
                As for general updates, I am going skiing in the Pyrenees this upcoming weekend with all of the other exchange students and the welcome team.  We are skiing all day Saturday and going to a spa on Sunday.  It should be an incredible weekend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment