Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Playing Catch Up

                Remember that lovely week I had off when I went to Lyon, Geneva, Strasbourg, and Aix-en-Provence? Well, I’m now making up for it with a double week of classes, so I have been very busy with school this week – namely, six hours of class per day (international business – 3 hours; valuation in emerging markets – 3 more hours), two papers, a group presentation, and a comprehensive three part finance project (which luckily isn’t due until a little later!).   It’s not terrible, and I enjoy the classes.  The only thing is that the weather has become absolutely perfect here so all I want to do every day is just go lounge around by the Garonne. 
                Last weekend I went ice skating! I went with some amazing friends and had a great time! The coolest part of the night was teaching some French girls how to spin – in French! It was an interesting experience. I’ve taught people how to spin before but always in English!
                I’ve also started experimenting with new ways of cooking.  I’ve experienced success so far.  I’ve learned how to fry chicken and zucchini on a hotplate, both of which turned out to be pretty tasty.  I also found barbecue sauce at the supermarket (on the international foods aisle, of course!). 
 If you know me, you probably can guess that not having an oven is terribly disappointing as I love to bake… all the time… My favorite cooking story here so far involves my attempt at baking truffle brownies a couple weeks ago.   My friend who lives across town magically had an oven and graciously agreed to let me come over and bake brownies.  Super excited to be baking again after much too long, I mixed up the batter (without measuring cups or anything – I have gotten pretty decent at eyeballing!).  Much to my chagrin, the oven which I thought had been pre-heating the whole time, wasn’t even on.  After spending about half an hour trying to figure out what was wrong with it, both my friend and I gave up, so I decided to be creative.  I was actually able to bake the brownies in the microwave.  They weren’t quite as good as oven-baked brownies, but they were still good and a huge hit with my friends! The entire pan was gone by that evening. 
                This weekend, I am planning to go to Montpellier and hopefully the beach with a few friends! I’ll probably post about our little weekend trip sometime next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment